Dental Implants In Northbridge
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a safe and straight forward treatment to replace missing teeth. If you have a denture or have lost teeth in the past, you can now restore the function and aesthetics with a dental implant.
The implant is an artificial root for your new tooth, inserted into your jaw. They are usually made of titanium which is compatible with human tissues. Once your bone has grown and bonded with the implant, a strong, artificial and realistic tooth known as a crown is attached to the implant to complete the restoration process. The result is a strong tooth restoring full functionality and providing a very natural appearance that is practically indistinguishable from a natural tooth.
Who Can Get Dental Implants?
The ideal dental implant patient is someone of any age who has lost one or multiple teeth due to decay, defects, diseases or injury. However it is vital that they still have healthy gum and enough bone to hold the implant. It is also important that they are committed to good oral hygiene and regularly check-ups to ensure that implants are looked after. People who smoke or suffer from chronic disorders such as diabetes and heart disease may still be able to get implants but this would be at their dentist’s discretion.
What Are The Benefits Of Dental Implants?
Implants are permanent and secure and do not require removal for cleaning or flossing nor any other extraordinary treatment. As opposed to a bridge or denture, a dental implant is just like a natural tooth. In addition to appearance, dental implants can have many other benefits over their alternatives including:
- Durability: Dental implants are very durable and built to last and if fitted and looked after correctly they can last a lifetime
- Improved speech: Unlike removable dentures, dental implants allow you to speak normally without any worry that your teeth may fall out.
- Improved comfort: Because dental implants fit, feel and function like your normal teeth they eliminate the discomfort that can be associated with dentures. This improved fit and feel also allow you to eat all of your favourite foods without any discomfort or difficulty.
- Protecting the health of the bone: When jawbone is not being used to support a tooth it can start to deteriorate and lose its strength. Dental implants help stimulate natural bone growth and reduce the risk of bone loss.
- Protecting your other teeth: As dental implants are inserted directly into your jawbone and fit around your other teeth there is no need to grind down your remaining healthy teeth, which is sometimes done for removable dentures.
- Maintain your natural smile and face shape: As a dental implant functions like a normal tooth you are able to maintain your regular face shape which can sometimes be lost when you have missing teeth and deteriorating bone structure.
How Much Do Dental Implants Cost?
Like most dental treatments, the cost of dental implants will vary from patient to patient. The cost is normally determined by the extent of tooth loss and bone damage, pre-existing conditions and the type and number of replacement teeth you require. Your dentist will be able to discuss the cost with your during your initial consultation.
Dental Implant Procedure
Once your Sailors Bay Dentistry dentist determines that you are a good candidate for dental implants they will then develop your treatment plan. A treatment plan normally involves the following stages:
- The dental implant, a titanium post, is surgically positioned in your jawbone to replace the tooth root. This normally then takes 2 – 6 months to heal and osseointegrate (fuse with) the jawbone, which will form a strong and long lasting foundation for the replacement tooth.
- Once the implant has healed and fussed with the jawbone your dentist will then fit a small connector called an abutment on top of the dental implant to connect the implant to the replacement tooth.
- A crown, bridge or fixed denture is then attached to the abutment and you are left with a healthy and natural looking smile.
Dental Implants at Sailors Bay Dentistry - Practice in Northbridge, Close To Cammeray and Mosman
At Sailors Bay Dentistry we use the latest 3D X-Rays, surgical guides and treatment planning software. This simplifies your treatment allowing us to place our implants with speed and accuracy whilst avoiding trauma. In fact our practice is one of the 1% (including specialist practices) who has access to and routinely uses these technologies. For any further information on the benefits of a dental implant and how it can restore the functionality and appearance of one of your missing teeth, contact the Sailors Bay Dentistry team.
Call Us Anytime To Make A Booking On (02) 9958 0400
Dental Implants - Before and After Gallery
Dental Implants Before & After
Back to our Northbridge Dental Services page