What child dental benefits are covered?
The CDBS was designed to make dental health care for children more accessible to families on lower incomes. The child dental scheme covers preventive and general dentistry including:
You will only be able to claim these services through CDBS if there are enough funds remaining in your benefit entitlement.
What isn't covered?
More complex dental services and treatments not related to improving oral health are not covered by the child dental scheme. This includes:
Contact our clinic in Sydney's North Shore to find out whether the treatment your child needs is covered. You may still be able to claim some services on your health fund, depending on your policy limits.
How much can I claim?
CBDS may cover all or part of a dental treatment, depending on the costs involved. We'll make sure you know about any costs before you agree to a treatment.
Child dental benefits through CDBS are capped at $1000 per child over a period of two consecutive calendar years. This means that if you use all of your allowance in the first year, it won't be renewed for the second year.
You will be assessed by Medicare annually to check whether your child still qualifies for free dental services.
How do I make a claim with a CDBS dentist?
We've made it as easy and hassle-free as possible to claim free kids' dental services through the CDBS at Sailors Bay Dentistry. The process is as follows:
- Check your Medicare account to make sure you still have some benefit allowance available.
- Let us know that you'll be using CDBS when you schedule your child's appointment with our dentists. Make sure you bring your Medicare card along so we can process your claim on the same day.
- At your appointment, we'll discuss what your child's treatment will cost and whether this can all be claimed on CDBS or another method. We'll give you a consent form to sign, agreeing to the cost.
- When your child's treatment has finished, we'll process your claim for you. We bulk bill Medicare payments so you don't have to pay out of your own pocket and chase claims yourself. Medicare will then deduct your total dental bill from your benefit allowance.
If you don't have your Medicare card on you, or you need to make a claim yourself, you can do this by:
- downloading the Express Plus Medicare app on your phone
- signing in to your myGov account
- posting or handing in a claim form at your local service centre
If you're processing your own claim, Medicare will refund the payment into your bank account.
CDBS schedule FAQ
Talk to a CDBS dentist in Northbridge
Sailors Bay Dentistry is proud to be part of the Child Dental Benefits Schedule, helping to make quality dental care more accessible to people of all backgrounds.
If you want to know more about how CDBS works, or to book an appointment with our children's dentists in North Shore, call us on (02) 9958 0400 or contact us today. We also offer the Child Dental Benefits Schedule to the following suburbs: Castlecrag, Naremburn, Artarmon, Crows Nest, Chatswood and Lane Cove.
Please mention that you want to use the CDBS when you book your appointment.