How can I make my teeth whiter?
Teeth may become discoloured for a number of reasons. As well as natural ageing, your diet and lifestyle can also impact on the colour of your teeth. This includes food and drink such as tea, coffee and red wine, smoking and some antibiotics.
To help reverse tooth discolouration, our dentists in Northbridge can discuss cosmetic dentistry treatments to help cover up stains and brighten your smile. We'll give you all the information about the treatments we offer so you can decide which option is right for you. These include:
- In-chair teeth whitening – laser teeth whitening using the Philips Zoom! system can brighten your smile by several shades in a single appointment
- Home teeth whitening – our dentists can provide you with a custom home whitening kit to help brighten your smile in around 2 weeks with regular use
- Veneers – placing dental veneers over the front of your teeth to change their appearance
- Crowns – covering a dark or discoloured tooth with a tooth-coloured dental crown
Am I a candidate for tooth whitening?
Teeth whitening treatments can remove common types of stains, but not all types of discolouration. To be eligible for this cosmetic dental treatment, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have good oral health
- Not have severe teeth sensitivity
- Not be pregnant or breastfeeding
If our dentists spot signs of a problem with your teeth or gums, such as tooth decay or gum disease, we'll help you to treat this first before your cosmetic treatment can begin, as it could affect your results.
If you have sensitive teeth or gums, it may still be possible to have a whitening treatment. Let our dentists know so we can tailor your treatment and help you feel more comfortable.
If your teeth have changed colour due to trauma from an injury or as a side-effect of medication, this may not be corrected with teeth bleaching treatments. We can discuss other options such as veneers or crowns.
Teeth whitening only affects natural teeth enamel, so if you have any crowns, fillings or other dental restorations, you may choose to have these replaced to match your new brighter smile.
To find out if you're a good candidate for teeth whitening or if you could benefit from an alternative treatment, call (02) 9958 0400 to schedule a consultation with one of our qualified dental clinicians.